Wet, weak, and fine-grained soil can pose a major challenge at many construction sites. A muddy site makes for difficult working conditions, such as difficult access for construction vehicles. A muddy site can also make it harder to achieve the soil moisture and compaction requirements established by the project’s civil or geotechnical engineer. Wet, poorly compacted soil results in poor pavement support and embankment/fill. At a construction site, lost time means lost money.
ViaCalco® quickly improves the soil condition during construction and can lead to long-term improvements in key soil properties. Adding ViaCalco® can result in three major soil improvements:
- Soil drying – reducing the soil moisture content
- Soil modification – reducing soil plasticity, aiding compaction and increasing early strength
- Soil stabilization – increasing long-term strength and reducing swell potential
SAVES TIME & MONEY
ViaCalco treated soil can offer a number of economic advantages to a construction project:
- Costs less than other soil improvement options, particularly when compared to ‘remove-and-replace’ when using aggregate base course and geosynthetic materials (geogrid or geotextiles).
- Rapidly improves the load carrying capacity of the on-site soil, allowing construction materials to be delivered and providing a solid working platform for other construction operations. Time is money – lime helps keep the job on schedule.
- Reduces pavement costs, as ViaCalco® stabilized soil has a long-term strength that can be considered in pavement design, since it is integrated in capping layers.